Professor Henry

A few weekends back, I took Henry's Beaver group for its first overnight camping trip. We camped near a beach, and the 12 boys in our group spent a lot of time combing the sand for interesting things.

I like to let the boys do their own exploring, find their own things, and talk about them amongst themselves. If they have a question, I'll answer. My theory: a good scout camp should be 1/3 learning stuff, 1/3 doing stuff, 1/3 poking dead things with a stick.

Henry is one of our youngest Beavers, and is normally a bit reserved. Something happened on the beach the first day that turned him into a celebrity.

Boy: Look at this clam shell! It has a hole RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE! How did that happen?

Henry: A snail did it.

Other Boy: How could a SNAIL do that?

Henry calmly explained how a snail eats--how it grabs hold of a clam with its foot, then uses a special appendage (he called it a tongue) with tiny teeth to grind a hole. It then uses gooey juices to kill and digest the animal inside.

Boys: Coooooool.

Henry: Yeah. I guess it's kind of interesting.

Soon, boys were bringing all sorts of things for him to explain. It was wonderful to watch.

Boy: How come you're just a kindergarten, but you know so much stuff?

Henry: I'm a real scientist.

Boys: Wow.

Henry shrugged his shoulders and looked at me for a moment.

Henry: And I'm not in kindergarten. I homeschool.

This became a major topic of conversation for the rest of camp. I overheard a couple of boys decide between themselves that homeschool kids are geniuses.

I could just imagine what Henry would have said.

Henry: Well, we're not all geniuses.

3 comments:

Misty said...

Our 6 yr old Owen is in Beavers too. I love your 1/3's.

stablepersonality said...

What a great moment for him. Remind him of that someday when he's a teen.

Anonymous said...

I will be forty-five tomorrow, am university educated (with a history major, mind you, not biology) and have owned a cottage on the south shore of PEI for fifteen years: Henry taught me something today. Please pass on my thanks.