playing Bird Find

Erin had her first pre-natal appointment with her new doctor today (good news, it's not a flipper baby). I stayed home with Henry and Jane for a few hours while she was there.

After a quick game of crokinole with Henry (mostly he piles up the chips and knocks them down), we invented a new game; it's called Bird Find. You sit at the front window (which Henry calls the Nature Channel) and look for birds. The first to spot one (and get it confirmed by a second party) gets a point. First person to 20 wins.

I thought this would keep them busy for a couple of minutes. We ended up playing several rounds and staying there for more than half an hour.

The fun part for Henry is the waiting. The "oh-my-god-I-can't-wait-to-see-another-bird-and-I'm-totally-going-to-see-it-first-because-Jane-is-only-one-and-I'm-totally-going-to-win-because-I'm-three-and-Zepplin-Rules" part. He was shaking with anticipation. Also, you can skyrocket from last place to first by seeing a flock of starlings swarm by (as Jane did once, to her fantastic glee). It was a blast.

Boy, a lot of parenthetical asides today (yes, several).

No comments: