Cold beer and punchlines

Erin and I used to make up stories for Henry about the animals on a farm. When he was one- and two-years old, he would ask for a new story every day.

The stories always ended the same way. After the dramatic conclusion (the farmer's wife emancipates the bee trapped in Poombra the pony's tummy, Nice Snake learns to ride a bike, Barney the barn owl and Jovo the dog learn they can play together at dusk), we would always say, "So they all had a nice glass of juice, and took a nap."

The stories stopped about two years ago, when Henry discovered chapter books.

This morning at breakfast, I told Henry the story of my Friday-night curling match. I had never curled before, and really enjoyed it. Near the end of the story, Henry's eyes grew wide as he recognized a familiar cadence.

Me: When we were done, we all shook hands and said, "Good game." Then we all went up to the bar and had a glass of beer.

Henry: ...and took a nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I'm sure you wouldn't be the first guy to nap at the Curling Club. The men in my mom's family all used to spend a lot of time there ...