Henry and Daddy talk about toothpaste

At supper.

Henry: Dad, who reads your blog?

Me:
Not sure, exactly. Some family. Some of our friends from all the places we've lived. And some people we don't know.

Henry: What do you write about?

Me: Mostly you guys and the funny things you say and do.

Henry: Am I famous?

Me: Um..... no.

Jane, who until now didn't seem to be listening, is suddenly giving me the Angry Look.

Jane: I don't want people laughing at me in New Brunswick.

*********

Later. In the bathroom.

Me: Did you brush your teeth, Cornbread?

Henry: No. I don't want to.

Me: C'mon. Do it now and you don't have to do it later.

He suddenly gets very formal.

Henry: Brushing my teeth is a good idea. It's important to take care of my teeth.

Me: Um.... yes.

Henry: This seems like a blog.

Me: You think?

Henry: Yeah. You say something, and then I say something. And then I say something back.

Me: I guess it is. What should we call it?

He thinks.

Henry: How about.... "Henry and Daddy talk about toothpaste"?

Me: Sounds good to me.

7 comments:

Dead Robot said...

This post +1

All Nations Christian Reformed Church said...

Henry is wise beyond his years. Tell Jane we're laughing *with* her, in N.S. at least. I can't speak for those New Brunswickers.

wordswords said...

Despite not having visited there since she was one, Jane takes her Saint John roots very seriously.

"I'm a Johnner. What's Henry?"

"Nunavummiut."

"I'd rather be a Johnner."

Jenna said...

Please tell Jane that New Brunswick loves her very much - and prefers to laugh with her. It's storming again - come visit! :)

Anonymous said...

Jane's comment made me laugh so hard I cried. The unmistakable wit of a free born citizen of Saint John.

Deborah in Saint John, NB

Kerry Jo said...

I'm trying hard not to laugh. But it's really hard. Probably related to being in New Brunswick.

Love your blog -- you can tell Henry.

just us said...

Tell Jane that I left NB so I could laugh at her. Or is that with her? hmmmmmmmmmm