Raising Calvin

Henry is learning how to snowshoe.

Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch...

He's awkwardly plodding along in the deep snow in the field behind our house.

Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch...

He stops every now and again to look around and nibble a bit of the snow stuck to his mitt.

Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch...

I think of the first time I went snowshoeing, a few years ago, in the Cape Breton Highlands.

Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch...

I think of how suddenly free I felt. I could go anywhere. See anything.

Crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch...

He walks back towards me.

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

Henry: Can I watch TV?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok... I have to say snowshoeing is one of my favs but don't do it too much. This year you hardly need them around here! In fact, I just received a call about my 199K waterfront lot on the Gatineau river and was asked if snowshoes were needed to walk the 1Km into the lot from the plowed road! I surprisingly said "NO! Not this year!"

wordswords said...

And now I know my cousin Calvin, the real estate agent, reads my blog. Hi, Calvin!

(I hear he's got a deal on some waterfront property in Gatineau)

(I was referring in this post to Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes fame.)