Roller coaster

We're driving along a winding country road. As we begin climbing yet another hill, Henry starts the game we've been playing lately: roller coaster.

"Still going up! Still going up! Still going UP!" he chants. We all join in.

"Still going UP! Still GOING UP! STILL GOING UP..."

Our voices become incrementally louder and more shrill with each chant.

"STILL GOING UP! STILL GOING UP! STILL GOING UP!"

We reach the crest of the hill and begin our descent.

"Wheeeeeeeeeeee!"

My cheeks hurt from smiling. The kids are giggling. It's so wonderful that they're sill young. Every little thing is so fun.

"Dad, know what I was saying?" says Jane with bright eyes. "I was saying, "Still GROWING up! Still GROWING up!'"

I clutch my chest.

"Ooooh! Ouch, Jane! Ow! Oh!"

I am being maybe a touch dramatic.

"What?" she asks. "What'd I do?"

Erin puts her hand on my arm.

"You shot your daddy in the heart again, sweetie."

No comments: